Saturday, July 16, 2011

Black Rot or Black Dog...Which Will Kill My Crop Faster?


Hi, do you remember me?  I'm Fairchild Farmgirl, I'm a certified blog slack artist.

No actually I'm "worried about my grapes Fairchild Farmgirl"  I haven't been slacking, I've been working in the vineyard every moment I can.  Well, since it's rained a pile all spring and now this summer, the old grapes, by another vineyard manager; "the best 3rd year crop he's ever seen" grapes have been infested with black rot. 

 In fact they will get sprayed Monday so we dont' lose our entire crop which can happen in the blink of an eye.  YIKES! 


This is what black rot does to a grape.  Do you want to know how else a grape is killed before it's time?




Your stupid dog eats the clusters of UNRIPENED grapes.  That's how.  What a dummy!  I caught her eating mulberries of the low tree branches too.  She also "helps" pick strawberries. 

But never puts them in the bowl...how curious....

In all seriousness, aside from my fruit stealing pup, I'll be working on the grape vines.  If you are sitting there without a thing to do, come and visit...I'll put you to work.  =)

2 comments:

  1. The dogs! What we won't tolerate. I had a Blue Heeler that would go ahead of me and eat all the ripe raspberries and strawberries. She would only do it while I was out there picking. I had to tie her up. Good luck with the grape rot. There always some pestilence standing by in the farming world. xoxo Terah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny. It brings happy memories to me about a Lab I had for 15 years. He loved grapes. I had mine going up onto an arbor. He still got them. He could climb a 6'fence if there was something he wanted. Ha.. Is your dog a Newfoundland? They are exceptional animals.

    ReplyDelete