Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reaching Into The Black Hole...

I know what you're thinking, with calving and lambing you probably think you know where this is going......

But you don't.

When that time comes, you sure will be with me, arm in a inard somewhere or another.

I PROMISE!



This is actually a true black hole...although, with my camera it shows it all lit up.  I guarantee that's not the case.   This, if some of you are wondering is a "metal chicken nest". 


For some reason the hens will not lay in the upper nests, but lay in the lower ones that you can kind of see the bottom portion of the hole.  Pair this with the fact my camera tells lies and the holes are truly dark inside.  Marry these two items up with the fact that I loath rodents.  Dark holes and corners + barn and grain = mice. 


Yep, I'm the chicken.  Plain and simple.  What if I reach in there and grab onto a mouse instead of an egg?  I know I have barn cats, but there's always the what if. 


A little side note on rodents at the Fairchild Farm:  Three years ago, the rats were soooooo bad that we would watch them playing on the driveway while we grilled on the front porch.  I would drive up the driveway and try to run them over. 

YUK! 

If we had a Chinese Year then, it would have been The Year Of The Exterminator.  He was here all the time and we would bait them with five gallon buckets of poison which would be gone in  less than two days.  Ron would move bales and would have a gun with him in the cab and one time under a single bale he shot seven of them. 

Why am I telling you all this?  Seriously, I don't know.  I got off on a tangent. 

But, on the bright side, we are getting about 6 eggs a day (when I'm not to freaked out to reach in the hole.  Woohoo!


The scaredy cat,
Fairchild Farmgirl

2 comments:

  1. Or you could do like my Grammy did one time, she reached in and grabbed a black snake that had eaten the eggs! I ask her, "what did you do?" She said,"I let go of him real fast."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh Clint! Now I'm worried about two things! =) Just kidding! Thank you for the great comment.

      Delete