Tuesday, December 20, 2011



A carved wooden door from Summit Handcrafted Log Homes.

I wanted cattle in the feedlot scene, Ron said he wanted this exactly how it is with this deer. Because with this gift, I have to share you know. =)

Of course this can't happen until we build our new house when we don't have little hands wreaking havoc in our home.

BUT STILL before I die (which I better have at least another 40 good years out of this bag of bones), this company will make me one. If you like this, check out the rest of the site...the have a double door that has a tree carved into it. It honestly looks like you are walking right through it. You have to see it.

That's all I can say. www.summithandcrafted.com They are truly artistic masters!

My great Christmas memory for today is this: Getting a huge box of Christmas cookies from my grandma Mayer every year. I remember digging through them, as they were froze from the trip by mail in the dead of winter. For some reason I can remember the chocolate chips and M&Ms would about break your teeth. But my siblings and I didn't even care. We didn't get this type of goodies very often and my grandma was the best baker ever.

She died 20 years ago...GULP! She was the greatest. I wish my kids would've gotten to meet her. They would've loved her and my grandpa Norbie. They would always make sure they had a sack full of pennies for us and some Nips caramel candy.

I want to be just like them!

My charity today would definitely be approved by my grandparents, all 4 of them.

The Happy Factory, http://www.happyfactory.org/

Here's a snippet from their website -

The Happy Factory
Miracles happen when people willingly serve others. When Charles and Donna Cooley became aware that many children have never had a toy, they formulated their motto, "We may not be able to make a toy for every child in the world that needs one--but we're going to try!"

The seeds of their service were planted in a small workshop at their home near Cedar City, Utah in 1995. They made a couple hundred toys that were humbly offered to Primary Children's Medical Center. The toys were received with such enthusiasm and gratitude that the Cooleys made more and donated them locally to the Canyon Creek Women's Crisis Center, Cedar City Care and Share, the Presbyterian Church, and within the state of Utah to Shriner's Hospital, Ronald McDonald House and worldwide.

They named their workshop "The Happy Factory" because of the happiness it brings to them and to the children who receive the wooden toys. In the process, they have learned that toys are not simply playthings, but tools that help unlock a child's ability to think and to cope with the world around them. What started as a hobby has turned into a full time labor of love.

Since their humble beginnings, The Happy Factory has welcomed volunteers of every age--including juvenile offenders in three state correctional facilities. There are no paid salaries. The Happy Factory is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All the materials they use are donated and all of the toys are made by volunteers. Every toy is donated to a child in need. The toys are made of scraps of hardwood donated by a local cabinet maker. Unfortunately, there are a few expenses for wheels and axles, saw blades, building maintenance costs and other miscellaneous items. The Happy Factory workers are toy makers, not fundraisers. It costs approximately eighty five cents per toy for wheels and axles. They gratefully accept donations of materials, time, and money.

Sincerely,

A "Happy" Fairchild Farmgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment