Thursday, December 15, 2011

On The 10th Day OF Christmas, I Asked For This GIft...


A pair of snowshoes by Havlick Snowshoe Company.

First I didn't even know this company existed, second of all, I didn't know that there was so much to know about a snowshoe!  Aren't they cool looking? 
These are called Sprinters, and they would be perfect for for me to wear in the grove and the vineyard.  Check out their great website for much more!  http://www.havlicksnowshoe.com/  These are also made in the USA!

Do you want to know something completely dorky about me that you didn't know before?  I use the vineyard as a walking track.  So if you're driving past our farm and you think I'm checking on vines, no. I'm getting in my workout.  But they would workout fabulously for when I have to prune out there when the vines are dormant and the snow is about 5 feet deep.

My favorite Christmas memory I bring to you today wasn't so fantastic when it was happening.  You know, back when I was a teenager that thought a boring tradition was to get a Christmas tree out of the back 40 with some old pairs of snowshoes that my dad thought were the coolest things around...

You know how that goes...

I hated putting on those stupid snowshoes back in the day.  I also hated wearing stupid looking winter hats, a phobia that still haunts me today.  I don't know why, maybe somebody was going to see me, like my parents old yucky van wasn't going to be embarrassing enough and the snowshoes were going to be the cherry on top.

Looking back now, man was I a little brat at times. 

Extremely funny how after I became a parent I have asked for snowshoes every year for the last ten years.  No joke.  I think this is karma coming full circle.  What do you think?  So remember...keep doing those family traditions...I dont' care if you embarrass your kid in an old looking car or make them wear funny outdoor gear. 

Just spend some time with the punks...do you hear? 

My Charity today is: Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Twin Cities  http://www.bigstwincities.org/site/c.dmK0LjO2LsKcF/b.6543299/k.F0EB/Home_Page.htm

What a great charity!  Join in and maybe you can make your OWN snowshoe memory with a great kid.  Here's a snippet from their website:

"Big Brothers Big Sisters is not your typical organization. We help children realize their potential and build their futures. We nurture children and strengthen communities. And we couldn’t do any of it without you." -From their website
Happy Trails!
Fairchild Farmgirl




 

2 comments:

  1. I tried snow-shoeing in Wyoming. I lack the requisite coordination for that sport. It's not really a sport as it is a method of transportation. I'm really enjoying your Xmas posts!! Terah

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I bought Tony snowshoes for Christmas years ago. I wanted those cool woven vintage looking ones, but he was to heavy for those. He exceeded their weight limit. I bought some green aluminum pipe things with inner tubes laced underneath them. He wears them when trekking through the snow to feed the pheasants. Go figure, he feeds them in the winter and shoots them in the fall.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete